Here we have a pair of upcycled sconces made from a half-dozen vintage graters of different sizes mounted on beautiful ipe hardwood. Natural patinas vary between the different graters - from still-somewhat-shiny tin to dark, even oxidation, and shades in between - and have been preserved under acrylic clear coat. Color seen in photos is lent by the rich oiled-wood backplate.
Half of the graters are stamped "Rapid," the others "Wonder." I have used the variety of color and detail to create a random symmetry between the two lamps.
These lamps would be perfect on a brick wall in a loft or converted warehouse office space.
- Each measures 13 inches high by 9 inches at the top (widest point).
- Extend about 3 1/2 inches from the wall.
- Double socket in each takes 2 standard base bulbs, Clear torpedo shape looks best to me, but tubular or even appliance bulbs would work.
- As backplates make the sconces quite heavy, these will need to be hung securely or installed.
- If installing/hardwiring, note that minor modifications will be needed (e.g., additional holes drilled in backplate). Front shade portion can easily be removed and replaced as needed for access.
- For plug-in, choose one of the switch options.
- Cords are about 6 feet long, brown plastic. I can substitute a longer cord, or a fabric cord, if you prefer.
- If you'd like me to drill holes for installation, let me know whether you prefer two holes or four per sconce.
- I can paint the shades (metal fronts) to your specifications, within reason.
Please contact me about customization possibilities, cost, and timing.
Paypal or Credit Card. Please pay within 3 days.
Made-to-order and custom items will require a 20% *nonrefundable* deposit. This means if you cancel the order after I have purchased materials, or return it, I keep the 20%.
In most cases, postage to the western U.S. will be lower than what's shown. Don't hesitate to contact me for accurate shipping costs to your location. In any case, if shipping is significantly lower than what you are charged, I will automatically refund the excess.
I am also happy to ship overseas or use expedited shipping. Please contact me to set the process in motion.
I insist on insurance. That cost is included in shipping.
Most of my pieces are made from vintage objects on the outside, with new functional parts inside. This means they will show signs of their age, which is part of their appeal, but the works will last for a long time. Unfortunately, photographs can unintentionally either disguise or exaggerate the wear on a piece. I encourage you to take this into consideration when making the decision to buy. If you find you aren't happy with your choice, you have 14 days in which to return it for a refund of the item price, not including shipping.
If you have an object you think would make a good lamp, I may be able to help. Use the link to request a custom order or drop me a note. Custom orders are subject to a 20% nonrefundable deposit, as noted above.